Monday, August 3, 2009

Interview : Reg Silva from Notebooks.etc

I entered a contest at Salad For Breakfast last month and won the consolation prize. And guess what? I had won myself a We Be Explorers Memo Pad. This evening, I received the long-awaited package from Regina that consists of the memo pad and some extra goodies as well. Well, that's quite a surprise!

Here are the items dear Reg sent to me:


A We Be Explorers Memo Pad


Some super-kawaii stickers and...


A cute Cupcake Bear phone charm!
*Sorry for the poor quality of the picture =p



But unfortunately, the phone charm has been damaged during the shipping process. I'm so sad...


But for now, let's see how Reg answers the questions of the interview...

1. Hi Regina, please tell me something special about yourself.
My name is Reg Silva and I'm a twenty-something freelance illustrator/graphic designer from Manila, Philippines. I resigned a year ago from a good job as a motion graphics artist for television to go into illustration which is what I really wanted to do. It's been a fun ride since, learning the ropes of freelancing and having a great time doing things for myself and not for some faceless corporate giant.


2. How was your shop started?
Shortly after I resigned from my full time job, I stumbled on Etsy.com and when I saw the creative, handmade items being sold there, the gears in my head started turning. I thought, "Hey, I can do that, too. I can sell my art there." I started a shop last year selling knick-knacks (supplies, button pins) but didn't take it too seriously. I closed it down and reopened another shop earlier this year with a focus on illustrated paper goods -- notebooks, memo pads, stickers, tumblers, button pins, etc. I love paper goods and school/office supplies; it seemed only natural that I choose to make and sell what I love.

3. Tell us why your shop is special!
I do everything myself-- I punch holes for my notebooks, bind them, print the covers and designs for the tumblers, hand cut the stickers, draw my charms by hand... The only thing I don't do myself is cut the papers for my notebooks. I used to trim the sheets five at a time with a paper trimmer but it's a long and time-consuming process so now I take my paper to an industrial ream cutter for cutting. Nevertheless, each product in my shop is handmade with utmost attention to detail. I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to other things (like cleaning my room, haha), but I can't settle for anything less than perfect when it comes to my products.


4. Who/What is your source of inspiration?
Nothing in particular, really. Sometimes an idea for a product or illustration will just jump out of me in the middle of the night or when I'm in the shower (where I usually get ideas, I don't know why), and I try to write it down before I forget (which I usually do). Sometimes a funny conversation or a random memory will get the ball rolling for an illustration. Sometimes I'll be surfing the Internet and I'll come across a photograph I can use as a reference for a drawing (I get permission from the photographer first, though). I have more ideas than I have actual output though, hahaha. I have problem finding time to sit down and get them all out of my head and onto a (Photoshop) canvas.

5. What handmade possession do you most cherish?
I was having a hard time thinking of what to answer for this question as it's usually me giving other people handmade things. I never receive them. But just a few days ago, Julie from Sew It's For You, a friend I know through Flickr, sent me an adorable canvas tote bag she stitched one of my illustrations on. I love it, so I guess that would be it! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewitsforyou/3629253186/)


6. Which items in your shop receive most compliments from customers worldwide?
Anything kawaii gets a lot of hearts and compliments from people. My Cupcake Bears items (notebooks, stickers, tumbler) have sold many times over in my shop.



7. Which item from your shop do you like the most, and why?
Probably my Cupcake Bears notebook because it's three of my favorite things in one - cupcakes, bears, and notebooks. I can't get enough of those three! I love cupcakes, I have a bear collection, and before I started making notebooks, I was always buying them (and never using them, because they're too nice to write on).

8. How do you promote your Etsy shop?
I haven't availed of paid advertising-- yet. I'm trying to see how far I can go with just a blog, my Flickr and the occasional and not-so-subtle shop update on Twitter. I also recently hosted a giveaway through Salad For Breakfast and it has done a wonderful job at bringing in a few extra hearts, views, and a couple of sales. I also try to re-list every few days (although I haven't recently). Right now my shop is taking a backseat to my freelance design/illustration projects although I hope by next year I can make my Etsy shop my first priority. Maybe I'll try paid advertising then.


Raining Cats and Dogs Tumbler $ 12.00

9. Make a wish!
Flaming Hot Cheetos, please. Or did you mean a shop-related wish? If so, I wish for more discipline and time management skills to put into action all the ideas and images floating in my head.

Now readers, Regina is feeling generous right now! She is offering 20% off your total order price (shipping not included) when you include the words "AIK 20" at checkout! Continue the purchase the usual way and she will refund you 20% off after 24 hours.


Lovely Links:

6 comments:

Samantha said...

Adorable stuff! And congratulations on the consolation prize, sorry a bit of it was damaged.

Sara said...

great interview...and shop!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on free gift and great job on the interview!!

Aik said...

Thanks for your lovely comments, friends! I <3 you all!

Anonymous said...

Cute stuff!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

What an adorable tumbler!