Sunday, November 15, 2009

Book Review : Sing Me To Sleep by Angela Morrison


I love this cover! Pretty, isn't it?

Book Details:

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Razorbill (March 18, 2010)
  • ISBN-10: 1595142754
  • ISBN-13: 978-1595142757
Synopsis:

THE TRANSFORMATION

Beth has always been “The Beast”—that’s what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth’s only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she’s selected to be her choir’s soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.

THE LOVE AFFAIR

When Beth’s choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek’s untethered passion—for music, and for Beth—leaves her breathless. Because in Derek’s eyes? She’s not The Beast, she’s The Beauty.

THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE

When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?

THE HEARTBREAK

The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek’s been hiding a dark secret from her …one that could shatter everything.

*I received a SIGNED ARC of Sing Me To Sleep from Angela Morrison. The book will be released on March 4, 2010.

Review:

I must say that Sing Me To Sleep is one of the best books I’ve read these few years. Angela cleverly weaves a touching, absorbing story about friendship, family, love and life. Sing Me To Sleep makes me see the harsh realities of life, the unyielding power of friendship, and shows us that true love transcends all.

Beth was once an ugly girl who was bullied some mean boys in school. After she received sessions of beauty treatment in order to be presentable as the Bliss’s soloist during the Choral Olympics, she becomes a beauty. Even though we always say that inner beauty is more important, this novel suggests otherwise. Just take Beth as an example, why did she receive such unfair treatments in school? I’m sure you know the answer well.

Beth follows her choir to Switzerland to participate in the competition. There, she meets a mysterious, handsome boy from the Amabile Young Men’s Ensemble, Derek, and falls head over heels for him. Her love for Derek grows stronger and stronger each passing day, just as Derek's love for her.

Ah, Derek! He is gorgeous, talented and confident. Just the type of guy that any girl would fall for. Behind his glorious façade, he hides a terrible secret, and Beth doesn’t know what is it. Angela keeps me interested by making him play ‘hide and seek’ – he accompanies Beth for a day or two, then he disappears for days and weeks. I’m not sure if he is just fooling around with Beth or that he really loves her. He seems…elusive. This makes me want to know about his secret even more.

Another thing I love about this novel is the support and love shown by the Amabile guys. They are like a huge, loving family, always supportive and caring.

Angela Morrison succeeded in delivering an original, touching story through Beth's voice with her wonderful writing. She makes me realize that true love is not about appearance, status and ability, but rather the deep feeling of love, care, affection and willingness to sacrifice for the person you love, because of who he/she originally is.

Towards the end of the story, I cried. Yes, you heard me. I cried. And I used a lot of tissues. The story is heart-wrenching... and everything is so real. Two different feelings mingle into one in my heart. I was heartbroken, but I also felt a tinge of happiness at the same time. Beautiful, poignant, touching and thought-provoking, Sing Me To Sleep is a book not to be missed.

Rating : 10/10

Many thanks to dear Angela for sending me a copy of Sing Me To Sleep. I really love this book. Thank you!

Visit Angela Morrison's Website
Read more about Sing Me To Sleep

*Teens, if you'd like to get yourself a review copy of Sing Me To Sleep, please click HERE.

Pre-order Sing Me To Sleep on

Amazon
Filpkart

19 comments:

Angela Morrison said...

Thanks, for this beautiful review. Your readers can get a sneak peak of SING ME TO SLEEP. The first chapter is posted on my website! Stay tuned for a video trailer coming January 15th. The Amabile Boys are real, and they are going to record the soundtrack for SING's trailer!

Melissa (Books R Us) said...

You did a very nice review. I cannot wait to read it when it is released in March.


melissa@gingerhigh.com

Molly said...

I loved your review. I definitely want to read it now! Thanks!

Mollydawn1981 at aol dot com

Anonymous said...

a fabulous review...would enjoy reading this wonderful book :)

karenk
kmkuka(at)yahoo(dot)com

Adaptable Kay said...

Wow-That sounds like a very interesting read...I'm not too much on this type of romance(I'm more the action adventure gal), but for some reason this book looks good to me!
Thanks for the review :)1

Anonymous said...

MAN OH DAY this sounds like a truely great book!~!!!

pattifritz2000 at yahoo dot com

Lucy said...

This really sounds intriguing! I want to definitely read this one. What are the secrets being hidden. How horrible being teased. I know how that is. I want to know who Beth will choose.

bianca_riot said...

this is a seriously good review, you can tell theres been heaps of thought put into the review, i want to read it now. you've written how the author has made it a good book, and ultimately given it a 10/10 great review
:D thanks for posting about it. its officially on my reading list.
wateva_08 at hotmail dot com

Anonymous said...

I enjoy books that touch me deeply and this book sounds heart-wrenchingly good.

Sara said...

Wow great review! This book sounds very good and emotional, and I've heard lots of great stuff about it! It's in my TBR list :)

Kirthi said...

Wow, this is an amazing review! I really want to read this!

justpeachy36 said...

Wow... great review. Sounds like a very poignant love story. Can't wait to read it.

Brodie said...

Oh wow, brilliant review! I wanted to read this before but now? I 'need' to read this! It sounds like such a great book and I very much want to learn more about Derek's secret! Can't wait until it's released!

Precious said...

Wow! 10/10 rating! I have my eye on the lookout for this. Once in a while, I read books like these - books that are touching.

Anonymous said...

sounds wonderful!!!!

karenk
kmkuka(at)yahoo(dot)Com

mrsshukra said...

I like happy endings but I also like books that make me cry, thanks for your thoughtful review!

Anonymous said...

The cover looks amazing. The story looks wonderful, too. I'd love to read this one!

Mariana S said...

The Book sounds totally awesome and I love the cover ^.^

Nice Review

Shy said...

I've read great reviews on this book EVERYWHERE! And the way you make that synopsis is just amazing. Thank you for this fantastic review =)

p.s. Am very glad to find another Malaysian blogger! I'm fairly new myself =)